Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Zero Waste Writing...


One of the first ways I started downsizing years ago was with pens. My husband worked at a job where they had company pens, and he was constantly bringing them home in his pockets by accident, where they would end up stuffed inside one of our many pencil cases. We had soooo many freaking pens it was ridiculous. We could have supplied an entire school with writing equipment, So when I started looking into Minimalism, downsizing our insane pen collection was one of the first places to start.
In our house now, we have a small number of colouring pencils for Romeo to draw with, 2 pencils, and one pen. Yep. One pen. This is it. We are never in a situation where both of us need to be writing things down at the same time so why bother complicating matters when you can keep it simple?
This pen is a Stainless Steel, silver Parker Pen. I bought a converter with it (the only plastic element of it) and a glass ink well to refill it. Voila, Zero Waste writing! I write in a journal and also love sending postcards so I use this on a daily basis.
When Romeo starts school I will get him his own refillable pen so we won't ever have hundreds of plastic pens floating about.
I love keeping things as simple as possible, and I love writing with this pen. It seems to also fulfill my Jane Austen fantasies pretty well.
The entire cost of the pen was (in NZ dollars;)
Parker Pen: $30
Ink Well: $17
Converter :$20
Total :$67
This is a chunk of money, but if I take care of this pen it will last me forever, and the ink should last me a while too. I don't spend a lot of money on things nowadays, so this is something that I did invest in that I feel was a worthwhile item, plus I have already had so much fun writing with it.

Xxxxxx

Hannah 

No comments:

Post a Comment